Friday, February 17, 2006

Home Rule..

An avid fan that i am of Shashi Tharoor, spared myself some time to read a few of his recent articles. Each one struck a chord and made me unconsciously nod my head to what he had to say, but a particular one, with a catchy title had me feeling proud. An article published in 2005, titled "Kalyanikutty's Kerala". He goes on to stress how the women in kerala were always educated and forward in their thinking even in the 19th century. Cant deny that the feminist in me wasnt evoked, but more than that, the article makes you feel good, proud of being born in a state where a woman ruler decreed that "the State should defray the entire cost of the education of its people in order that there might be no backwardness in the spread of enlightenment among them, that by diffusion of education they might become better subjects and public servants" and all the governments followed till date.

5 comments:

sajith said...

Have you read the followup article? That too should be online in the Hindu website.

A lot of people wrote back to Shashi Tharoor describing the actual prevalent situation in Kerala. In all the sexual harrassment cases, the accused came out unhurt and enjoy their might and money. In most parts of Kerala, women can't safely travel alone once it is dark. Mr Tharoor has gracefully corrected himself in the follow-up article.

(Few of our female friends I have talked with won't even consider working in Kerala. My sister too has told me about how safe it was in Tamil Nadu to travel when she was doing her MSc.)

sajith said...

Okay, here it is: Looking beyond the backwaters.

sumz said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
sumz said...

yup agree that safety -an entirely diff topic altogether, is definitely not a plus point. That applies not just to kerala but to almost all other parts of India as well.

And also comparatively,chennai(dont know abt other parts of tamil nadu) is definitely a safer place for women. And I personally can vouch for that!

srijithunni said...

Hi!

Nice Blog there..
and like sajith above, I too feel that safety is something not found in kerala. Things like the P.E. Usha incident have made me hang my head in shame..

But again, when you talk about the literate women of Kerala, I do feel it rings a chord with me..

Wasn`t that something we all cherish, something we still look upto.. I get reminded of Chandu Menon`s all-time classic "Indulekha", on reading your post..

Regards,
Srijith
http://srijithunni.blogspot.com